Cauldron

I like books.

Name:

I live in a small town and enjoy writing about the inhabitants. I spend most of my time perusing through used book stores looking for that one great book that I don't have; consequently, I have rooms filled with books. I am a book addict.

Monday, September 11, 2006

Mr. Zelda and I spent the weekend rock hunting. I have to say that the place where we hunted was on a Peninsula in the middle of the White river way up in Missouri. The cliffs along the side are made from granite, marble, and there are veins of flint, so, it was a place where the Native Americans spent a lot time. They probably made tools there and over the years a great many spear heads and knives and arrowheads have been found. So, Mr. Zelda and I drove down the sand bar and we got out and sat in the sand and I sifted through pounds and pounds of white sand. I found a tool, it’s what looks like a tool used to make the arrow heads. I don’t know much about tool making, but I found some like it on the good sites for arrow heads and mine even has the little markings that indicated it was used often. My big find was a huge petrified root rock. It’s a huge piece from a much larger piece. The roots are so perfectly petrified, they almost look alive and there are other markings around the roots like small animals may have been scratching and eating on the roots. The man who found them said he had an old tree that he couldn’t get up so he used a big tractor and when he was scraping the dirt out, he came upon this huge rock and he broke it up with his big dirt digger and piled them all in a huge rock pile. He gave a few of them to my friend and she gave one to me. She thought the tree he cut down was the tree that left the root pattern on the rock, not so according to my research. That tree wasn’t nearly old enough to have petrified roots. Any way, my weekend rock hunting paid off big time. Next time, I’m going for rose rock. A friend or someone I emailed and will probably be my friend before it’s all over is letting me dig in her pasture where there is a huge vein. So what happens when I have more rocks than room?

5 Comments:

Blogger delagar said...

What happens when you have more rocks than roons? Why, that's what rock-loving buddies are for, of course?

6:57 AM  
Blogger CB said...

you get a bigger place!

11:08 AM  
Blogger zelda1 said...

Oh if only we can break a root off and you can have a piece of petrified root. I think we can.

2:17 PM  
Blogger zelda1 said...

mouse, we are getting a bigger place next summer. This not having a yard is killing me. I miss flowers and tress and my own patio and privacy and room for rocks. Yep.

2:18 PM  
Blogger CB said...

Oh that's awesome!!!!

10:11 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home