Cauldron

I like books.

Name:

I live in a small town and enjoy writing about the inhabitants. I spend most of my time perusing through used book stores looking for that one great book that I don't have; consequently, I have rooms filled with books. I am a book addict.

Sunday, January 01, 2006

So I'm 51?

Today is my birthday and it is also laundry day. Mr. Zelda is entertaining the baby, while I am doing clothes. I am also cooking a small pan of black eyed peas and ham, we must keep with the good—luck—for—money tradition. If you are not from the South, the tradition goes like this: if you eat blackeyed peas and ham, you will never be broke. Now, I do it every year, and yet, I am often broke. So, I’m thinking it is a tradition that really doesn’t work. But, I have some left over ham in the freezer, and a bag of peas, so what the hell.

Between doing clothes and cooking the traditional New Year’s day dinner, I can actually read and write. This is really my day, not because it is my birthday, but because it is laundry day and the washer and dryer are downstairs and so is our office and computers and books and other things that are too tempting for the baby. We bring him downstairs often, don’t misunderstand, but when I am doing the laundry, it is best if he is upstairs in his playroom with Granddad. So, while I am working, I am also free to read and write. I have written another chapter to my novel about my grandmother and have actually written another short story about my nephew. It’s funny, when under a time constraint, I can write like a fiend, but if I have all kinds of time, I do nothing.

I have also been musing over what it is that I am going to try to commit to this year. I am not going to say things like lose weight or work out, because I know that will be an instant failure. But, I’m thinking of other things, like recycling. Maybe I’ll start with aluminum and work into glass and paper. I already do my bit by buying used books and I try and freeze in reusable plastic versus those throw away bags. I am also going to cut out all factory raised meats and poultry and fish. Yep, I am only going for range fed. I might even cut face food completely out of my diet. I have been entertaining the thought for a year or two now. I don’t buy leather or fur or any other somethings that are made from animals; although, I like a good leather bag, but I have not succumbed to the temptations. I am strictly off the leather or snake or eel skins.

What ever I decide to make as my big change over the next year, I know one thing, it isn’t going to be to diet. By the way, I was the first baby born on New Year’s day in 1955. I was born six minutes or so after midnight. I got a silver spoon. Imagine giving a silver spoon to the baby of a woman with nine children.

5 Comments:

Blogger Diane said...

You are obviously not eating enough cabbage on NYD. The cabbage is for prosperity--the black-eyed peas are for luck.

9:42 AM  
Blogger zelda1 said...

I did not know about the cabbage. I may have to send Mr. Zelda out for a head and boil some up for supper. We can have the left over peas, cornbread, and cabbage. That's been it all along. I have missed the prosperity food. Thanks so much!

11:00 AM  
Blogger delagar said...

Hey, happy birthday, one day late!

7:32 AM  
Blogger jo(e) said...

You were a new year's baby! That is cool.

Happy belated birthday.

9:18 PM  
Blogger jo(e) said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

9:18 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home