Cauldron

I like books.

Name:

I live in a small town and enjoy writing about the inhabitants. I spend most of my time perusing through used book stores looking for that one great book that I don't have; consequently, I have rooms filled with books. I am a book addict.

Wednesday, January 04, 2006

Back from hell

I am back, back from the worst trip that I have ever taken. My niece was buried yesterday, and while it was a very sad occasion, it doesn’t take away from the fact that all of my siblings are racists’ pigs. I tried to reason with them, tried to enlighten them, but it was to no avail. They are convinced that the border should be closed and no non-white immigrants should ever enter our country again. I became so angry that I spent a lot of time outside. It is really sad. My niece, who died, and her brother both have daughters who are married to Latinos. Their little children range from dark hair and dark eyes, to blond hair and freckles. It breaks my heart to hear the discussions about race that goes on in front of these innocent children. IN fact, my one great niece has divorced her Latino husband and married a white man and she announced, in front of her children and her sister’s children, that she has the only white child in their entire family. “Finally,” she said, “We have a white baby.”
It was awful. Then my sister, the one that works for the school system, couldn’t quit complaining about the small children not being able to understand her when she asks them their name. I say to her, “Would it kill you to learn how a few Laotian and Spanish phrases.” Of course she says, “If they can’t speak English, they don’t need to be here.”
I tell you all, my heart breaks every time I am around my family. I can’t believe they all grew up to be such pigs. They use the N bomb like it is nothing. IN fact, they never say African American or black person; it’s always the N word. They would have followed Hitler, I just know they would have and it breaks my heart. Then, then, they tried to whip me into submission for not going to church. I said, “I look at you guy’s life and see what church has done for you, how it has made you such fine loving people and I am tempting but have to pass.” I, of course, say it sarcastically.
Oh me. I am so glad to be home. I am so glad to be away from their hate and the poison that spews from their mouth. But, I sure do have tons of writing material. I should not have to try and think of any new characters for about ten or so years.

4 Comments:

Blogger delagar said...

"Finally, we have a white baby."

My Christ.

Not that I ain't hear the same shit from my family, mind you.

8:59 AM  
Blogger jo(e) said...

How sad.

8:18 PM  
Blogger isabelita said...

Oh, you must get writing some good old Southern fiction, short stories inspired by your family's nastiness. You will follow in the honored footsteps of many Southern writers, with the advantage of having lived enough years to have a good breadth of experience. I myself am 55, live in Seattle, but ahve read all my life, including many Southerners' work.
I like your sensibility, and your politics.
Write on!

12:38 PM  
Blogger zelda1 said...

isabelita,
Welcome to my blog. I do write a lot of, well mostly Southern Fiction and it is all inspired by my family. Some funny, mostly funny, but some sad too. Come back anytime. This is the place where I vent, but sometimes I do write a few things that are okay and not the ramblings of an insane one.

2:05 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home