Cauldron

I like books.

Name:

I live in a small town and enjoy writing about the inhabitants. I spend most of my time perusing through used book stores looking for that one great book that I don't have; consequently, I have rooms filled with books. I am a book addict.

Saturday, December 27, 2008

Another year

When my children were young, I would begin my shopping early because I had to do it that way. I would buy their many gifts and hide them in my closet and when the day came, I wrapped the small ones, the even smaller went into the stockings, and the big ones, like bikes and such, just went under the tree. But, now that they are older, much older, I give them money and their children get lots and lots of toys. In fact, I buy all of my daughter’s children’s presents. For her two younger children, I am the main source of support, so I am Santa. This year, though, Mr. Zelda has been sick, I have been sick, and we literally put shopping off until Christmas Eve. I know, very bad for my nerves. Well, I got up early and armed with my most comfy pair of sweats and my red card, I headed to all the stores. I bought and bought and bought and when I thought I could buy no more, I stuck the red card in the atm to see what I had and low and behold more shopping potential. I made two more stops and headed home. Mr. Zelda and I wrapped all the gifts that we could and then headed to the daughter’s for some turkey and dressing. I, of course, did the most cooking. We allowed the kids one gift that night and the rest went under the tree or in the closet. Of course, we came back up the hill but bright and early Christmas morning, the grandson called to tell me what Santa brought him. Then he said something so cute. He said, “Nana, Santa wraps like you and he used the same paper and he forgot his bows too.” Yep, his reasoning is kicking in so I suspect it won’t be long until he joins his brother and the many ranks of kids who cross from believing in magic to figuring it all out. It makes me sad; although, I’m happy that they grow up. Until next year, Peace and good fortune to all

1 Comments:

Blogger delagar said...

That's the part of the holidays I like best, giving presents!

11:05 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home