Cauldron

I like books.

Name:

I live in a small town and enjoy writing about the inhabitants. I spend most of my time perusing through used book stores looking for that one great book that I don't have; consequently, I have rooms filled with books. I am a book addict.

Sunday, August 10, 2008

World Lit Comps.

So, I’m doing my reading for my World Lit Comps. I’ve chosen the Greeks, Socrates, Plato, and Aristotle, and some Sophists. I’ve also chosen two works by Ovid, two by Homer, Gilgamesh, Genesis, and Exodus. I think that will cover the Classics; although, technically Gilgamesh, Genesis, and Exodus are not really classics. For Eighteenth century: Oladauh Equiano, Lady Montague, Evelina, Joseph Fielding, Frankenstein, two works by Pope, two works by Swift, Hume’s Dialogues, 2 of Austen, Rousseau, Wilmot, and Wycherley. That should cover both areas.
I’m doing Psychoanalytic theory and Orientalism and will throw in some feminism and trauma theory. I think I can do this.

4 Comments:

Blogger delagar said...

Who are you reading for trauma theory? I need to look at that.

7:46 AM  
Blogger zelda1 said...

Read Cathy Carruth, she has some really good stuff. Also, you can read some of Susan Sontag, she, too, has the expressions of pain and finally, I recommend Elaine Scarry for the failure to represent pain. She says that torture victims have all this trauma but the pain, you see the pain cannot be represented verbally; therefore, unless someone has felt, say a burning poker stuck up their ass, it cannot be understood, especially with language. And finally Adorno has some stuff, but I find him a bore. Then, of course, there's Freud's stuff, which I love.

9:53 AM  
Blogger zelda1 said...

Carruth's best is, I think the name is unclaimed experiences or some things like that where she describes the wound, generational pain, and the repetitious compulsions. I think you'll like her the best.

9:54 AM  
Blogger delagar said...

TNX!

11:21 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home