Cauldron

I like books.

Name:

I live in a small town and enjoy writing about the inhabitants. I spend most of my time perusing through used book stores looking for that one great book that I don't have; consequently, I have rooms filled with books. I am a book addict.

Monday, September 25, 2006

The Nerve to Tell the Truth

So it’s that time of the year. Already, my sister has called and informed me what we are having on Thanksgiving and giving me ideas what to bring and frankly I didn’t have the guts to tell her that I am not coming. I’m not. I just can’t do these family things any longer. I have pretty much severed the ties with my three sisters who live in one town, but the sister who raised me, well, it’s harder and she is like a mother to me. But they are so fundamentally Christian and staunch republicans and racists and homophobes and war mongers that I hate being around them. For instance, my sister’s husband, Mr. Know It All, well, he tries to bait the educated fool that would be me. You see, while I am in my last year of earning my masters, I am the most educated in our family, of all our family, including in laws, cousins, and everything in between. Of my siblings, besides me, only my sister who raised me, Mother Hen, has even graduated high school, so they see me as an educated fool, thus the baiting.

Most of the day is spent, prior to forcing too greasy of food down my throat, smiling when the women, including me, prepare, serve, and wait on the men to finish eating before we actually sit down. The men retire to the living room, while we clean up the mess and keep running around officering pie to the adults and chasing after the kids, who are hyper from so much sugar. They watch ball games and discuss politics and religion and I just want to say, no that is not what the Bible says and I used to say that and then they would drag out the Bible and I would prove my point and they would say that I was taking it out of context and I would say, no, I’m not.

The conversations, of the last couple of years, revolve around liberal fools, illegal aliens, and why not just drop a bomb on the Middle East. I look at them all and just want to scream but I am always too doped up to do anything but count the minutes that are required after eating before I can leave, according to Ms. Manners.

This year, I am cooking a nice turkey and making dressing and maybe sweet potatoes and probably long green beans and asparagus. I will make one pie, maybe a cake and invite friends over. This year, I am calling Mother Hen and telling her that I am just not able to come down, that I think it is time for me to have my own traditions begin. And those traditions are going to include, my immediate family and my friends. I just hope I don’t chicken out and tell her I am sick. That is my usual get-out-of-family-free-card.

4 Comments:

Blogger jo(e) said...

That sounds like a healthy decision. I hope you stick to it. And remember, the first year is the hardest. Maybe next year, they won't be expecting you to come ....

7:39 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Good luck, Zelda!

8:14 AM  
Blogger zelda1 said...

jo(e), I am going to stick to it, I can't suffer through one more meal where I have to bite my tongue, it's just not worth it. When I was a little girl, and our mother would cook for everyone, and we all sat down to eat, she never would allow the talking of politics or religion at her table. And, while the women waited on the men and children to eat, she made sure that while the women ate, the men entertained the children. She had her faults, but she knew what made good dinner conversation. She also put back the better cuts of meat for the women, yes she did.

3:54 AM  
Blogger zelda1 said...

Thanks Mike, I have been working for years pulling away from that unhealthy enviornment. My sister that raised me, while she has her faults, she still took me in and gave me safe house to live, and for that, I will always be grateful, but things are not always mentally healthy around her, so I am going to back out and not do the family things.

3:56 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home