Cauldron

I like books.

Name:

I live in a small town and enjoy writing about the inhabitants. I spend most of my time perusing through used book stores looking for that one great book that I don't have; consequently, I have rooms filled with books. I am a book addict.

Friday, February 03, 2006

The world is just too noisy.

Okay,
I’m HOH, hard of hearing. I thought I was just HOH, but the truth is I am a fragment of sound away from being stone deaf. Well, yesterday between visiting the lawyer, seeing my daughter get arrested, and fighting drug addicts, I did manage to go pick up my hearing aides, the ones they said I should have been wearing since I was a kid. Okay, now I know what people mean when they say that I live on a busy street and when they ask how I can stand the noise. I could stand it because I never heard it, or rain, or the car engine, or feet walking, or shuffling papers, or running freezers, or computer fans, or keyboards clicking, or any of those sounds and many more. I really never knew what the people in my life’s voices really sounded like; I mean they all sounded so muffled, and now they sound so loud, even the professor writing on the chalk board sounds too loud.
Anyway, so I have the hearing aides, and I’m hearing all these sounds and they are loud and irritating and I am thinking maybe being HOH isn’t such a bad thing. In fact, today, I turned the stupid things off. Yes, I turned them off and when people talked to me, I read their lips, which is what I do, I read their lips. When I thought I was hearing, I was really reading lips. The doctor who had me tested said to give it time, that eventually I would get use to sounds. I wonder is sound all that is cracked up to be and can I really ever get use to hearing something that I have never heard before, well all at once that is.

2 Comments:

Blogger jo(e) said...

People I know who have had them said it takes awhile to get used to hearing all the noise, but at some point, you will adjust ....

2:00 PM  
Blogger zelda1 said...

I sure hope so, I mean, being without most sounds for so long and now having them bombarding me, well it's about to make me nuts. I have been turning them off and letting my mind rest. Cars, those are the hardest to get use to. They make such noise, just driving down the road. It's a swooshing sound. I never knew.

7:22 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home