Cauldron

I like books.

Name:

I live in a small town and enjoy writing about the inhabitants. I spend most of my time perusing through used book stores looking for that one great book that I don't have; consequently, I have rooms filled with books. I am a book addict.

Sunday, February 05, 2006

Me, the dirty clothes, bathrooms, and Milton. Great Sunday

The laundry is almost done, just one load in washer and one in dryer. Yeah! Dishes all clean and put away and bathrooms neat and disinfected, the apartment is neat again. That’s what I do on Sundays.

I must say, Mr. Zelda has been exceptionally quiet. He has found a game to play and while I am still the gopher, he has learned to organize his wants. Get him juice and crackers instead of one at a time. That’s much better.

Now, after I give him lunch, I am going to work on my presentation that was due Friday, but my pc lost her memory and was unable to open the file. So, after everyone from Mr. Zelda to other techy co-workers of Mr. Zelda looked at my tower, it was established that the file indeed did not save, that something happened, a glitch. So, yesterday and today, I have been trying to re-write the paper/presentation.

One thing I know, I hate Milton. Yes, I hate to speak of the dead in such an unkind way, but really, his life was an extended metaphor, and his writing reflected his metaphoric life. Just about the only thing that I can even try to agree with him on is that he didn’t want the government to have so much control over what was written and what was read and for that, I give him credit. But what he thought about women. Can you imagine teaching your daughters to read in eight different languages but not teaching them to understand what they were reading, just so they can read to you because you are blind. Reading and not knowing what they are reading. His rationalization was, according to his daughters, that women should not even master one language let alone eight. What a sexist pig.

2 Comments:

Blogger delagar said...

Read Milton against the grain, that's my advice. Read him like the enemy he is. Then he becomes sort of fun. Because you're a terrorist in the enemy's camp, see? Learning his darkest secrets. And once you have them? You can use them. It's all about empowerment.

7:45 AM  
Blogger zelda1 said...

That's what I tell my professor, that Milton didn't write a poem to expose the ways of god, or not the way he intended, but that Milton wrote a satire about god, and about the government. It's all there, evil tyrant, that'd be god, poor oppressed governed, that'd be the demons and satan, and then there are the pawns, humans. It's all really very funny. Did you know that Milton's daughter said that he taught them eight different languages, to read and pronounce, but not to know what the words mean, just so they could read to him because of course he was blind. But, he also said, one language was too much for a woman to master. Meaning either that women are unreasonable and stupid, or we don't deserve to be enlightened and smart. Either way, he was an ass.

4:24 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home