Cauldron

I like books.

Name:

I live in a small town and enjoy writing about the inhabitants. I spend most of my time perusing through used book stores looking for that one great book that I don't have; consequently, I have rooms filled with books. I am a book addict.

Wednesday, May 25, 2005

Money still matters

I begin graudate school at the end of August. I have been trying to figure out how I am going to afford living away from home. I will still have to maintain two households and while my husband works it will still be tough. There are loans, and I am going to go in debt to pay my tuition, buy books, and whatever is left will pay rent on something; probably a tent in the field of some weirdo. My friend who is still doing undergraduate work, has two children, and lives off her grants and loans, found out that she is getting less this year than last. As it was, she barely had enough money to survive. I figure by the time I earn my Masters and start on my PHD, I will be so poor that I will never get out of debt. I wonder why am I doing this, why does anyone do this? It certainly isn't that prestige of being a teacher at a university somewhere because professors are not held in high esteem these days. I think I am doing this to be a better person, a poorer person that is for sure, but a better person. I want to make a difference. I guess that is why I am going in debt and struggling now, so that I can struggle later to pay the debts off and impart wisdom to those students who want to do the same as me, or the ones who play sports and just need my class, or those students who are going into buisness or law or medicine. I guess I am doing this to help. That is, after all, going along with the teachings of all those great teachers like Buddah, Christ, and Mohammed. It isn't about the money, it's about the outcome. That's what I have to keep saying.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home