Cauldron

I like books.

Name:

I live in a small town and enjoy writing about the inhabitants. I spend most of my time perusing through used book stores looking for that one great book that I don't have; consequently, I have rooms filled with books. I am a book addict.

Saturday, March 19, 2005

Women Take A LOOK!

I read a book the other night by Alice Walker, Possessing The Secret of Joy. It’s a book that every one should read. In this novel, a woman’s growth from childhood to her death is logged. Her struggles with the death of her sister, the infidelity of her husband, and her inner struggle with the history of her people and the rituals that continue being performed upon the young girls of her people and others as well. Walker explores the feelings, the anthropology, and the mythology of genital mutilation. Most people shake their head and think it is only in the other countries where other people do that, but it happens right here in the USA and not just to our darker sisters, it happens to little white and black girls from progressive, rich families who are ashamed that their little ones have found the joy between their legs and in order to stop the masturbation, you got it, they whack it off. I am appalled at what I read. Go buy or check it out. Sometimes reading has to be more than entertainment; sometimes, we have to read to learn what is going on out there to our sisters. By the way, Alice Walker has written many other wonderful books as well. Check her out.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home