Cauldron

I like books.

Name:

I live in a small town and enjoy writing about the inhabitants. I spend most of my time perusing through used book stores looking for that one great book that I don't have; consequently, I have rooms filled with books. I am a book addict.

Saturday, March 04, 2006

warm weather brings the tornados, bummer

It’s cool and hot, both. I mean, when the door is open, it’s cool, when it is closed, it is hot. Too cool for the air, to hot for the heat, and it looks like rain. So, I’m fretting, just like I do, about the weather. I like cold, am dreading the heat, and while the rain and snow during the winter are nice, during early spring, the rain especially is not welcomed. Usually with the rain comes the thunder and lightening and the strong winds and wall clouds, the dark rotating clouds, the tornado clouds. I hate it, I want to hide, but they come quick.

When I was seven and the weather turned bad, it was early spring, and my mom loaded us all up in the car and we drove to my nanny’s house. She was standing on the porch watching the clouds, as if she could really tell if the tornado was going to drop out of the sky. We ran against the wind, tree limbs were flying in the air, and Nanny’s chickens were rushing around with their feathers ruffled. Nanny said we needed to get the cows to the barn and Mama said we didn’t have time. Mama holding on to my little sister’s hand, and Nanny holding on to my hand, and my brother running ahead, we all aimed for the storm cellar. It was loud, the sound of the wind, and then we all got to the cellar but I couldn’t go down, I had to look, had to see what was going to happen and off in the distance the clouds dropped down and began to roll and they were so dark and thick and lightening danced around them hitting things, and before Nanny pulled me into the cellar, I saw the tornado coming toward us.

We sat in the cellar with Nanny’s dogs and her neighbors, the neighbor she fought with all the time, and when the tornado got close to us it was loud and deep, and then just like that it was gone. Nanny’s house needed a new roof, her barn was partially gone, and the chickens were still running around like, well like chickens with their heads cut off. Everyone said we were lucky that the tornado only stayed on the ground for a little while, that if it had not just dipped, well the house and everything in its path would have been destroyed, we knew that. I was never that close to a tornado again, until I was in the wheel chair, and my son and I were in town. I saw the wall cloud drop and the clouds began to swirl and I told me son to head of an over pass and all the over passes were full of other people so he tried to out run it, and I told him to stop and let’s go inside a store. Hail was raining down, big hail and the wind was blowing. I told him to go inside, that I would be fine in the car. I knew I was going to slow him down, that together we might not make it, but he wouldn’t leave me, so he lifted me in the wheel chair and ran with me, a man saw us coming across the parking lot, and he helped my son get me into the store, and we all went to the back and waited for the tornado to do its damage. Again, it dipped and left. That’s why I hate storms. I have been too close twice and don’t want to push my luck.

2 Comments:

Blogger jo(e) said...

Wow. What memories. That whole first scene just reminds me of the Wizard of Oz. I've never lived anywhere that gets tornados.

4:01 AM  
Blogger zelda1 said...

When the winds began to blow, the house to twitch...well, tornados are like earthquakes, unpredictable until the very last second, and they have a force that literally takes down tall buildings. Actually, I have seen, from a distance, a tornado that had little ones swirlling around the big one. It was miles away. They do so much damage, thank god it's only a short amount a damage, like a town or a community or a mountain section. They are not pretty. I would trade my stormy weather for your snow any day of the week.

5:33 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home