Cauldron

I like books.

Name:

I live in a small town and enjoy writing about the inhabitants. I spend most of my time perusing through used book stores looking for that one great book that I don't have; consequently, I have rooms filled with books. I am a book addict.

Tuesday, February 28, 2006

Okay, so I'm fucking old.

This post was inspired by Geeky Mom over at http://geekymom.blogspot.com/
She was asking about our first computers, firsts of a lot of technological things, which made me realize my age. I not only remember my first computer, a commodore, bought during mid 80s, but I remember my first color television, my first black and white television, and the first television that I ever saw. I remember coffee percolators being the big thing, now there are Mr. Coffees and more. I remember the first microwave, the first refrigerator with an ice maker, the first compact stereo, vinyl records, eight track tapes, little tapes, improved tapes, and finally I remember in the early 90s my children converting me from vinyl to those disk things. Yes, I still don’t remember what they are called. I remember Tab, before sugar substitutes, and I remember when children could buy and smoke cigarettes. I also remember drop, tuck, and roll. Which meant, drop to the floor, tuck your head down and your legs up and roll under the desk, just in case there was an atomic bomb dropped on us by the communists. I remember when man walked on the moon and how scandalous my grandmother thought the government was for playing such a trick on the people. She, like many, thought they were pictures taken out in the desert that no one could walk on the moon, they’d burn up, it was in the Bible, she thought. I remember Vietnam, and all the flag draped coffins that were unloaded from planes on the evening news, and the burning villages, and the wounded civilians and the wounded soldiers that plastered not just the television, but Life Magazine. I remember the first time Live from Saturday Night came on, I remember watching it and thinking I was going to burn in hell. I also remember the Beatles first time on the Ed. Sullivan show and how I loved them, I was only 9, a few weeks later my mom’s boyfriend raped me. I also remember both of the Kennedy’s assassination, ML King’s assassination, and I remember when women and children were property. I also remember Elvis, and I remember the decades of young and sexy Elvis, Older and chubbier Elvis, and not long before he died, I saw him and he was the unhealthy Elvis that today stays in my memory. Oh, so many memories, I think, my husband and I counted from my birth until now, there were something like fifteen presidential terms, starting with Ike and ending with, yes, these two terms of the bushwhacker. I remember it all, and while nostalgia is good, I don’t want to go backwards, I want to embrace the technology, the rights of women and children, the new music and the new medias, and I don’t want to have to ever think that I have to like something just because it was what the man of the house liked. I like corndogs dammit. Is that so bad?

3 Comments:

Blogger CB said...

your a history book! awesome!

8:30 AM  
Blogger Bardiac said...

I win! I had an OSBORNE!!! omg, was THAT old! (it was a used Osborne, I may add... given to me by my most amazing and generous brother.)

And my computer class in college... we used punch cards, and that was GREAT because they were so much easier than the yellow tape I used in my previous class!

I had a job where the boot up procedure on the computer involved entering binary code on tipswitches. You wanted to tell it to do something, dipswitches were the answer.

Thanks now I feel old, too. :(

10:04 PM  
Blogger zelda1 said...

It is so nice not being alone. That is what is nice about uhhummm middle age. So, Osborne, wow!

5:05 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home