Cauldron

I like books.

Name:

I live in a small town and enjoy writing about the inhabitants. I spend most of my time perusing through used book stores looking for that one great book that I don't have; consequently, I have rooms filled with books. I am a book addict.

Wednesday, February 15, 2006

Heart DAy

Yesterday was Valentine Day. I am, without a doubt, the most unromantic person on this planet. My husband has learned that I don’t like getting flowers, they just die, plus who likes to carry around a huge bouquet of flowers. Isn’t that inconsiderate of the man to send you flowers and then you have to have them in your office all day long, and then you have to try and carry the damned things through the building and out to the car and then try and keep them from getting squished just so you can get them home, drag them in and stick them on a table. It’s rugged. I don’t want any more stuffed animals either. I mean how much thinking goes into buying one of those little bears holding a heart. What I want is cheap chocolate covered cherries. The ones that come in the little box and you get two rows of them. Not a big box, just enough for one a day for a week. Mr. Zelda has learned that I don’t like jewels, flowers (unless they are in a pot and can be planted), and I don’t want stuffed animals. It took a while, but he is finally trained. So, yesterday, I’m in the hospital with my son and Mr. Zelda calls and reminds me it’s valentine day and I say yep, and he says you got your candy, and I say okay, he says happy valentine day and I love you, and I say okay and the same to you. So, I hung up and watched my son, who is getting stronger every minute, flirt with the young nurses. He has his father’s charm; the nurses want to hang out in his room. They tell him he has pretty eyes. They fluff his pillow and rub his back. I smile. I know that he is on a floor where the patients are all old, and chronic, and unable to do much as for as independent care. Then they come into his room and it’s different. I get ready to leave and tell the nurse at the desk to call me if there is any change, no matter how insignificant it may seem. It’s right before they take him off the telemetry, I hear an alarm going off, and I look at the monitor as does the nurse, and it’s my son’s, and I say, Pretty blond just went into the room. The nurse laughs and says yep, we can tell every time any of the younger gals go in, his heart rate speeds up, his respirations increase, and we always hear laughter. I’m happy, his heart rate can go up and it not put him in heart failure. Yeah, it was, indeed, a good valentine day.

3 Comments:

Blogger Bardiac said...

Scary there for a bit, I bet.

I'm glad to hear your son's doing better and should be going home soon.

Wish him good health and happiness for me!

5:58 PM  
Blogger zelda1 said...

Thanks, I will. He is home now, and things are getting back to normal.

6:01 AM  
Blogger isabelita said...

Whew... I haven't visited here for a bit, was shocked to see that your son was ill, but am happy for you that he's recuperating well. Definitely a good Valentine gift!

10:34 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home