Cauldron

I like books.

Name:

I live in a small town and enjoy writing about the inhabitants. I spend most of my time perusing through used book stores looking for that one great book that I don't have; consequently, I have rooms filled with books. I am a book addict.

Sunday, January 08, 2006

So, I'm not a heavy drinker

So we have friends over, young friend; friends of mine from undergraduate school. I find out, through the course of the evening, that I am younger than their parents. Yeah! So what does that mean? Anyway, we eat chicken wings, bean dip, cheese dip, and lots of chips. Then, I say let’s have wine coolers, an easy drink for me. They say yeah. So Mr. Zelda goes out and finds a store and buys wine coolers. My friends and I, all over 21, drink wine coolers; I only drink two and because my normal bedtime is as soon as it gets dark, and I’m drinking wine coolers, and I’m old, I began to have a little slurred speech, not much, but a little. Then, I have trouble holding my eyes open, not both just one, one would almost close, then the other, and it was a chore to keep them open, and I’m thinking it’s because of the sleep and it being after midnight, and so I try and I try to stay awake and not appear intoxicated because I wasn’t and I don’t want the young kids to think I am a light weight drinker. I want to tell them to call my writer’s group and they can vouch that I can drink two wine coolers without passing out, but the damage to reputation is there, I, in their eyes, am a light weight.

So, between one and sometime, they leave, I slowly ascend the stairs to my room, and while Mr. Zelda gets the bed ready, I start to throw off clothes, first the top, then the bottoms, then the rest, and I plop onto the bed, don’t have trouble finding that spot in the bed and on the pillow, don’t have my hair put into braids, and within minutes, I am asleep. So, when I get up, I go to the bathroom, look in the mirror, and all my hair is all over the place, I looked like medusa, no really. And I try to wash my face but instead, I drink and drink and drink, from the faucet, city water, not bottled, and from the bathroom, did I tell you that I am a germ phobic? Yuck. I drag myself down the stairs and find my kitchen filled with left over bottles, dishes, and think, fuck, did I do all of that, and must have, and then I make strong coffee, my favorite cup is clean and I drink and drink without letting it cool and then I start to wake up. The world is right again.

3 Comments:

Blogger delagar said...

Heh. You lightweight.

3:46 AM  
Blogger Chaser said...

I start to slurr after 1 drink. So embarrassing!

6:15 AM  
Blogger zelda1 said...

Yeah, back in the day, when all my friends were drinking and passing out, I was smoking my liquor. I chilled, they acted like asses, but then my lungs, well that smoking my liquor has changed. Although occassionally I have found my self in situations that were right and I did inhale, just a little.

8:50 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home