Cauldron

I like books.

Name:

I live in a small town and enjoy writing about the inhabitants. I spend most of my time perusing through used book stores looking for that one great book that I don't have; consequently, I have rooms filled with books. I am a book addict.

Monday, January 09, 2006

Buttons and day care

Okay,
I have an appointment with the staff of the daycare center where my grandson will be during my school hours. I’m not nervous, but I am worried. You know, worried that he will be stressed by being left with strangers. I am also worried that he will be traumatized. It was hard, back in the day when I had to leave my children, one of which is his mother, in daycare. I remember dropping my two little angels off, and I cried all the way to work. My thoughts never left the children. I called often and worried constantly. Sometimes, I took off work early just so I could drop in and see what they were doing, and always, they were playing or in art or some kind of structured activity. I was lucky, I had a good day care, but I spent months looking for the perfect one. Now, well it’s the same, I don’t want to leave my grandson, but I have too, I have to finish school, or can I stop long enough for him to get old enough to go to school, or his mother get her life together. NO, I won’t. He will be okay, I know he will. Plus, I am only leaving him half a day. That’s not even four hours. Is that bad? What if he cries, can I take that? I am so stressed about all of this. Right now, I am on the verge of tears. I don’t want him staying with strangers. I will spend the first week or two with him, at least I will take him for an entire day of which I will stay from 8 until noon, and then I will go to class. During those mornings, I am hoping it will ease him enough that he realizes he isn’t being abandoned. Maybe I’m making too much out of this. I don’t know, I just don’t want him to be affected by this separation from first his mother, and then from me. Mr. Zelda says not to worry, that he will check on him too, and on his light days, meaning when he only has classes and no work, he will pick him up early. So, truthfully, he probably won’t even spend 20 hours a week in day care, that’s not much time. Plus on Fridays, I just have one class and it’s an hour class over by 2:30, so he will only be in day care a little over an hour on that day. Okay, it’s making sense, he will be okay, I can help him with this transition as well as help me with my transition by spending the first few weeks with him during the mornings, by picking him up early, and by being involved in the day care’s activities, volunteering and so forth. Thanks, this has sure helped.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home