Cauldron

I like books.

Name:

I live in a small town and enjoy writing about the inhabitants. I spend most of my time perusing through used book stores looking for that one great book that I don't have; consequently, I have rooms filled with books. I am a book addict.

Tuesday, May 06, 2008

So, Furry, Things

Hubby, the grandbabies, and I mowed the lawn. Apparently a mother rabbit decided our front yard would be the best place to build her little hovel. So, hubby didn’t see the hovel and ran over it. One of the babies died and one was tossed from its nest and the third was safe in the hovel. I put them in a bucket until we finished the lawn and then rebuilt their nest, replacing all the soft rabbit fur and piling grass and leaves around the hole to conceal it from predators. I was so afraid the mother would not come back to her mowed down nest but she did. Anyway, yesterday morning, I was sad that the baby rabbits were gone; however, last night, I came home from the store and right there in the front yard was my mother rabbit and her two bunnies, which brings me to the question: why do we find baby rabbits soft and cuddly and rats not so much?

3 Comments:

Blogger delagar said...

We've got swifts nesting in our chimney. Mama and daddy keep falling down into the fireplace, and the kid and I have to keep rescuing them. It's very dramatic.

9:33 AM  
Blogger BrightBoy said...

Thank goodness the mother came back and the others were safe. I hope your grandchildren didn't see the one that died.

I think I (even now) would be very disturbed by something like that.

6:10 PM  
Blogger zelda1 said...

Delagar,
We, too, have these birds nesting in our chimney and every night,he babies cry and cry. Blackenedboy, my grandson did see the little puffs of fur from where the one was killed, but he was so overjoyed at getting to see the babies, that he didn't dwell.
The babies are alive and kicking and are no living in my backyard, protected by the nice fence. They are getting quite fat from all the fresh vegges that I put out for them.

3:13 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home