Cauldron

I like books.

Name:

I live in a small town and enjoy writing about the inhabitants. I spend most of my time perusing through used book stores looking for that one great book that I don't have; consequently, I have rooms filled with books. I am a book addict.

Sunday, October 15, 2006

And then I knew

Delagar’s post about her daughter’s new books, the ones about puberty and such, well it got me to thinking about my own lack of education in that area. I had older sisters and they were never given the talk, or so they say. My mother never gave me the talk and when I was around eight or maybe nine, all three of my older sisters became “expecting” as my mother so careful called it, in fact, when one of my older sisters said pregnant, my mother shushed her. So, because I was so nosy and wanted to know what it was that was making my sisters so big and round and all the talk about new babies, I went to the library and looked up pregnant, and after reading all of that, began to search each of the words that I had read, like fallopian tubes, ovaries, uterus, and even menstruation and that is how I learned about the birds and the bees, right there at the table in front of the encyclopedias on a huge oak table that smelled faintly of Murphy’s oil.

2 Comments:

Blogger OTRgirl said...

I, too, learned about all that through books. My Mom grew up in a family with an alcoholic/pedophilic dad and younger brother--so she was understandibly confused about how to discuss such things. I was the oldest and I suspect that when I asked the usual toddler questions she reacted in total discomfort. As a result, I never felt comfy asking her anything about my body/sex/etc. At least she had the books on the shelves so I didn't have to go to the library. I learned what to do for my first period from a Tampax ad in Seventeen magazine. I went out and bought a box, read the instructions, and went from there.

1:19 PM  
Blogger delagar said...

The book I gave the Kid (Ready, Set, Grow) is just so good. She read it and asked me things and read some more and asked me more and it's aimed at 8-11 year olds, so it wasn't too much for her. It also ends with this excellent section on what to do if anyone is sexually harassing or abusing you -- how to handle it, what to do about it. The kid said that was her favorite section. On the very last page is the hotline to report child abuse -- so kids being sexually abused can get help. Yay!

8:20 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home