Cauldron

I like books.

Name:

I live in a small town and enjoy writing about the inhabitants. I spend most of my time perusing through used book stores looking for that one great book that I don't have; consequently, I have rooms filled with books. I am a book addict.

Wednesday, November 23, 2005

All should be fair in crime and punishment

Having just read where the young woman in Florida was sentenced to house arrest after she was convicted of having sex, which is really rape, with a 14 year old boy, and then reading how she is too pretty to go to jail. What! I’m sorry, I am as liberal as the next person, but when a predator violates our children, and a fourteen year old is a child, then I am all for incarceration.

For those who have not read the story follow the link. http://www.crosswalk.com/news/weblogs/kmc/?adate=11/22/2005 I agree with this columnists that there is a need to treat sex criminals all the same. I especially felt nauseated by the pedophiles lawyer telling the judge that his client was too pretty to be in jail: "To place an attractive young woman in that kind of hell hole is like putting a piece of raw meat in with the lions," Lafave's attorney, John Fitzgibbons, said in July of the possibility of jail time. "I'm not sure she would survive."

A man, a woman, ugly, pretty, what does it matter. Does the crime mean less because a woman does it? Or a pretty woman does it? The scars are still there, the children still broken. I know, I have experience, the break, it never heals, comes back at the most unusual moments in the form of memory flashes. The fourteen year old boy will have these, yes he will, and it doesn’t matter if the flash he has is of a pretty woman, it matters that he has these bad memories that will haunt him, make him feel guilty, make him less. Pedophiles can’t be fixed, they will repeat offend, and while I am for treating these people well, by well I mean no torture or that kind of thing, but they don’t need to be free to hurt our children. Collectively, we have to pick and choose what we must do to protect the children, and it is pass laws that prevent pedophiles from having access, prevent them from assimilation, prevent them from getting out of jail free, prevent them from harming our kids. There are certain crimes that need mandatory sentences of say, life or life plus and sex crimes are those crimes. I say we should spend our money on rehabilitating those people who are convicted of drug charges and those convicted of child abuse. There are programs that will help them, they can get well, learn new ways to cope, but pedophiles and rapists, well statistics show they do not get better, they just learn how to not get caught.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home