Cauldron

I like books.

Name:

I live in a small town and enjoy writing about the inhabitants. I spend most of my time perusing through used book stores looking for that one great book that I don't have; consequently, I have rooms filled with books. I am a book addict.

Sunday, October 16, 2005

McMurtry

I wasn’t always a fan, I mean, I didn’t see Lonesome Dove the first time it came out, but I did buy the book and after reading it from front to back almost in one sitting, I rented the movie and fell in love with Gus. I watch it every year on my birthday. Funny.

He can switch points of view in mid paragraph and not confuse the reader. He is the master. McMurtry is the all time expert on writing in the omni pov and in creating these characters that you never forget. He has their dialect, their description, and their thoughts done in such a way that they are so real. I especially love his historical novels that border on creative non-fiction. I think one of my favorites is the Buffalo Girls. I attend a writer’s conference every year, well did until I started graduate school, but the town where he lives is only a couple of hours away so I go there and can stalk him. He is, according to my friend, one of the most down to earth people you will ever meet. Hopefully, I will find out for myself real soon.

1 Comments:

Blogger zelda1 said...

Thanks but for the next month or so, I am only reading Melville, Hawthorne, Petronius, and a list of 20th century American writers. But come vacation, I will read The Big Sky.

8:35 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home